Labor has demanded documents around the "failings of the mobile speed camera program" after Wagga spent at least two months this year with zero fines recorded.
Revenue NSW data showed Wagga recorded zero mobile speeding fines during August, following a month of zero fines in July, despite previous months having seen drivers hit with up to 550 infringements and tens of thousands of dollars in penalties.
Transport for NSW told a budget estimates hearing that month that Acusensus, the new speed camera contractor for southern areas of NSW, including Wagga, had "suffered quite significant impacts from COVID-19" and faced delays in hiring staff and procuring vehicles.
Last week Labor MLC John Graham moved a motion in the NSW upper house demanding "all documents, including correspondence and briefings" on the mobile speed camera program outage and "negotiations with Acusensus regarding the delivery of their contract" for enforcement program.
Mr Graham told Parliament he wanted to know how Wagga and southern NSW was given a "free-for-all" on mobile speeding camera fines.
"We want the papers produced because the total failure of this program is a scandal," he said.
"Fines have collapsed in the south of the State from significant numbers down to zero in Wagga, zero in Queanbeyan and zero in the Bega electorate.
"The Government talks about road safety, but its road safety program has collapsed and we want to know why. We want to know what is going on."
In other news
LIberal MLC Taylor Martin told Parliament that the government opposed the motion.
"Mobile speed cameras maximise deterrence of speeding behaviour across the road network and not just at camera locations," he said.
"There has been too much focus on how many people were being fined, where they were when they were fined and now which company detected their speeding.
"The real issue here is how many people are driving above the speed limit and putting their own lives, the lives of their passengers and the lives of others at risk. Mobile speed cameras are about changing driver behaviour and in turn saving lives on our roads-nothing else."
The motion to demand the documents as passed without need for a division and the government now has until November 10 to respond.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: