VOLUNTEERS spent hours dismantling the hundreds of portable beds which had been set up in evacuation centres across town yesterday as residents from Central Wagga prepared to return home.
More than 1435 people registered to stay at the four evacuation centres set up at schools across Wagga after being ordered to leave their homes on Monday night.
While the original evacuation centre will continue to operate from the Senior Citizens Hall in Tarcutta Street, most displaced North Wagga residents have now been relocated to temporary accommodation in motels and commercial premises while they wait for the floodwaters to subside.
A spokeswoman from the Department of Families and Community Services said the staff and volunteers at the evacuation centres had worked hard to make sure the residents felt cared for and remained upbeat.
“The staff commented on how resilient everyone was, all the evacuees,” she said.
Since the evacuees from Lockhart, Uranquinty and The Rock were given permission to return home, Angels for the Forgotten CEO Melina Skidmore has had teams of volunteers out and about handing out cleaning supplies, stationery and school supplies for the children, personal hygiene items and food.