Sydney-based removalists who stopped in multiple venues across the Riverina while travelling to Victoria and South Australia, later testing positive to COVID-19, will not be charged following two investigations.
Victoria's COVID commander Jeroen Weimar confirmed on Tuesday that the Victorian Department of Health completed its investigation into the removalists, and Victoria Police would not be taking further action.
One of the removalists, however, will be issued a small fine of $200 for not wearing a face mask.
NSW Police has also completed its investigation, with no breaches detected.
The crew of three travelled in two trucks over three days, leaving Sydney on July 8 and stopping in Gundagai - among other locations - before reaching Melbourne that afternoon.
In Melbourne the removalists attended Ariele Apartments in Maribyrnong where residents caught COVID from the crew and unknowingly spread it into the community, sparking an outbreak of the Delta variant in Victoria and leading to the state's fifth lockdown.
On July 9 the removalists are believed to have driven to South Australia, where a member of the group was contacted by NSW Health and told they were a close contact to another positive case.
The crew returned to NSW the following day, stopping at venues in Hay, Jindera and Albury. Two members of the group tested positive to COVID upon returning to NSW.
Victoria Police said on Tuesday it had assessed the findings of an investigation into the removalists by the states' Department of Health, and "determined there is no evidence of other offending".
"As such, Victoria Police will not be taking any action and this matter is closed from a police perspective," a statement read.
NSW Police also confirmed that its investigation was complete, with no breaches detected.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Tuesday that the situation proves "even very minor matters" that come with a small fine or seem "relatively trivial" can put "an entire city and state into a lockdown".
"That's why each of us has to play our part and do our best," he added.
Earlier this month, COVID commander Mr Weimar said he handed files on the removalists to police, with authorities in three states sharing similar concerns "around lack of sufficient information provided early and properly" by the crew.
He described them as "a rogue operator who isn't doing the right thing", and said "the wheels of justice will get to them as and when they need to".
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: