South Australia has "got the balance right" with crowd numbers for the opening of the AFL season but will look to further reduce COVID-19 restrictions on the basis of health advice, Premier Steven Marshall says.
Up to 40,000 people will be allowed for AFL games at Adelaide Oval this season with the ground hosting its first game on Saturday between the Adelaide Crows and Geelong.
While a big improvement on crowds allowed throughout 2020, that figure is still well below the stadium's 53,500 capacity.
"We're really keen to get the maximum crowd to all of our sporting venues this coming year," Mr Marshall told reporters on Wednesday.
"At this point, we've made it clear we can go up to 40,000, so a massive increase on where we were last year.
"I think we've got the balance right in South Australia. But if we can lift that cap, we certainly will."
The premier said increasing crowd sizes would depend on decisions from the state's transition committee, which would take into account, health, economic and social issues.
"The reality is footy spectators want to get back to normal crowds at the Adelaide Oval, but we've got to put our health requirements as number one," he said.
"The transition committee will constantly look at what that safe level is going to be."
Mr Marshall has also welcomed the plan to allow 84 GP clinics across the state to administer the coronavirus vaccine from next week.
He said that came as vaccination numbers continued to rise with 9831 doses given in SA so far.
However, some GPs have expressed concern that they haven't been provided with enough supplies to cater for the demand.
SA Health reported two new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, one in a man in his 30s and one in a child.
They both recently returned to Australia from overseas and are in hotel quarantine.
There are currently 14 active infections in SA, all people in quarantine.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.