The pedestrian walkway on the corner of Tompson and O'Reilly streets has been blocked as crews are working on a gas leak.
Turvey Park Fire Station crews were called to the scene at 10.55am after reports people could smell gas.
Station officer Ron Baroni said upon arrival there was a "slight" gas odour.
"We monitored the gas with a gas detector and then we contacted the gas company who attended the scene," he said.
"I believe they were going to fix the leak today.
"The gas leak was not from a building or a metre as they were both deemed safe, but it is believed to be from underground pipe work."
An employee at Bob's Birdz-N-Pets, who wishes to remain anonymous, said it has been a "fairly busy" day and if it wasn't for a customer who mentioned the outside situation, he would not have noticed.
"There is a bit of work going on, with dangerous gas signs in place," he said.
The Wagga gas distribution network is run by Australian Gas Networks, who were not available to comment.