Needle a ‘horrific’ find for mother

A GLENFIELD Park mother has recounted her brush with horror after her three-year-old son nearly stepped on a used needle while walking with his family.

Erin Bird was walking along Fernleigh Road with her kids on Monday afternoon when the family stumbled upon a horrific find.

A filthy, bloodied syringe narrowly avoided piercing her child’s foot.  

In shock, Ms Bird immediately contacted the city’s Sharps Disposal Service (SDS), but to no avail. 

“I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw him go to pick it up off the ground and I realised what it was,” she said.

“It was disgusting and absolutely revolting.

“There's so many kids walking down that road and obviously whoever has done this hasn’t even cared.

“They’re endangering people’s lives and eventually a child is going to be pricked by one of these and contract a lifelong disease.”

Ms Bird has used her harrowing experience to demand more sharp bins be placed across the city.

“I feel like it’s the only thing you can try to do to stop them from doing this,” she told The Daily Advertiser. 

“I’m just so glad I managed to run over to him and stop him in time.”

It comes after a Wagga taxi driver was pricked by a potentially contaminated needle left in her cab by two drug-addled men – who also failed to pay their fare.

Another resident, who did not want to be identified, also flagged concerns with the issue when she stumbled upon a used syringe in an Ashmont park last month. 

She said it was “disgraceful” and extremely worrying. 

“There’s nothing worse than seeing it and wondering what would have happened if you stepped on it,” she said.

“Imagine the horror of having to wait for tests to find out if it will affect the rest of your life.

“I couldn’t think of anything worse to go through.”

Anybody who suffers a needle stick incident is urged to: 

  • Clean the area immediately and wash the wound with soap and water.
  • Contact a healthcare provider as soon as possible to have the adequate blood tests undertaken.
  • Report the location of the used syringe to council or a disposal service.

If you find a needle or syringe on public place, please call Wagga City Council or the Needle Clean-up Hotline on 1800 633 353 to have the items safely removed.


Discuss "Needle a ‘horrific’ find for mother"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.