Tigers tame Blues with three late tries

SLICK MOVE: Tumut halfback Ray Luke slices past Gundagai defenders Luke Berkrey and Damian Willis to set up a try. Picture: Laura Hardwick
SLICK MOVE: Tumut halfback Ray Luke slices past Gundagai defenders Luke Berkrey and Damian Willis to set up a try. Picture: Laura Hardwick

Gundagai crossed for three late tries to take down a gallant Tumut on Sunday.

The two teams went toe-for-toe in front of a huge crowd at Anzac Park on Sunday before the Tigers pulled away late to take a 30-10 win.

In a game filled with big hits, it took 60 minutes for Gundagai to jump clear of their closest rivals.

While captain-coach James Smart thought his team were always in control, he was pleased by how the put their rivals to the sword in the last 20 minutes.

“That is a really good result,” Smart said.

“There has been a pretty big build up to this one, weeks ago when both teams started the season really well.

“I think everyone had one eye on this game so to come away with a win like that is really pleasing.”

The Blues got within two points when Brayden Draber scored his second try of the game.

It came off a penalty against Chris Rose for a high shot on Fijian recruit Masivesi Dakuwaqa.

Rose alleged the rugby sevens gold medallist bit him but after a discussion referee Scott Muir still awarded the Blues the penalty and Draber’s effort got the Blues within two points with 21 minutes to go.

However the Tigers regrouped and a centimetre perfect from Rose found Dylan Cole in space out wide to score five minutes later.

After picking up two penalties of their own, Blake Dunn then put Dane O'Hehir into a huge gap as he scored with 10 minutes left.

Tyron Gorman then crossed late to complete the win and ensure the Tigers stay in second, trailing Southcity on by points differential.

The loss is Tumut’s third in four games, with their best result a draw with Kangaroos.

The Blues haven’t won since round five but still sit comfortably in fourth place.

Despite dropping another game coach Jarrad Teka wasn’t too disappointed with the performance.

“Full credit to Gundagai, they were pretty good and it was a good effort (by us),” Teka said.

“It wasn’t until the last 20 minutes that it got away from us.”

Teka thought the team’s were evenly matched before injuries took it’s toll.

The Blues started well when Draber opening the scoring after five minutes off a strong run from Ray Luke.

However Gundagai levelled things when Damian Willis crossed for his 100th try for the club 15 minutes later.

Brock Dunn then dived over from dummy half to give the Tigers a 12-6 lead at the break.

From there they were never headed.

Smart was pleased by how his forward pack stepped up to the challenge.

“They have some really big boys who are hard to handle but I thought we did really well,” he said.


Discuss "Tigers tame Tumut with powerful finish"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.