Three Wagga teens to face court after late-night assault of Tatton homeowner

Two teenagers accused of bashing a man in an unprovoked attack in Wagga’s suburbs on Friday night have been granted bail.

The man was reportedly attacked as he investigated a noise neighbours described as “yelling, screaming and fighting” in front of his home at about 11.30pm.

“This is a quiet street, so it’s not something you expect to hear about,” one neighbour, who asked not to be named, said.

“The guy next door – he’s a big bloke – got involved and then he got kicked in the head.

Wagga police Inspector Peter McLay said three teenage boys were arrested after the allegedly alcohol-fuelled beating of a man who questioned their presence in his Tatton front yard.

“The 37-year-old resident has heard a commotion going on… he’s gone outside to see what was going on and was confronted by three young males, all 16 years old,” Inspector McLay said.

“He’s asked what was going on and they turned around and commenced to assault him.”

Neighbours heard the commotion and came to the man’s aid as he was overpowered during the assault, Inspector McLay said.

His 17-year-old son and wife both reportedly suffered minor injuries as they tried to help.

A second neighbour, who also wanted to stay anonymous, said the attack “looked like a ballet”.

“They were moving and circling... they were hovering around him like he was the nucleus and they were the electrons,” they said. 

“They were stomping on his head… it was scary, he didn’t deserve that.”

The victim was treated for cuts and abrasions to his face, swelling to the temple area and a sore chest. His son is believed to have also sustained soreness to the jaw in his efforts to stop the attack.

Paramedics responded to the incident, however no one required transport to hospital.

“It’s a disgusting incident, really,” Inspector McLay said. 

“Police are appalled.”

The teenagers were taken to Wagga police station and charged with affray, intimidation and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Police suspect they were under the influence of alcohol at the time.

Despite bail being refused at the station, two of the teenagers were on Saturday morning granted bail after appearing at Parramatta Children’s Court by audio visual link. They now have a June date with the Wagga Children’s Court.

The third teenager – who is understood to be also facing charges relating to breach of bail – remained in custody and will reappear at Wagga Children’s Court on Tuesday.


Discuss "Man bashed outside home"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.