Turvey fight to stay in hunt for finals action | Photos

Ever-improving Turvey Park are still in contention for the premiership with a 50-45 win over Shooting Stars on Saturday.

Currently in fourth place on the points table, the Turvey girls were first-time winners over a team above them on the ladder.

After scoring the opening goal of the game, Turvey was never headed, despite the Stars outscoring them in the third quarter.

The elastic movements of the Turvey shooters Morgan Watts and Nicky Gallagher were caused problems for the Stars defenders Maddi McIntyre and Frances Heffernan all game.

At the other end of the court, Kate Caller’s height was a constant problem for Turvey’s circle defenders, and despite being better known as a defender, the Stars’ Jemima Norbury scored her share of goals as goal attack.

Stars coach Amanda McLachlan took to the court at quarter time which instantly translated on the floor, but Turvey still increased a four goal difference at the first break to a six goal lead at the long interval.

The Stars made inroads in the third quarter, netting 15 goals to Turvey’s 11 in the period,  but a determined Turvey managed to maintain the lead to the last break, albeit whittled down to just a two goal margin.

With a win looking very feasible at the start of the final term, Turvey lifted a gear and added 14 last term goals to their tally, whilst restricting the Stars to eleven, giving Turvey their best win of the season.

Meanwhile, ladder-leading Uranquinty enjoyed a comfortable 65-39 win over CSU Reddies.

After a high-scoring first quarter which featured a total of 26 goals, the competition front-runners took a four goal margin into the first break.

The Greens were without regular defender Grace Cornell and lined up with Abbey Morton at goal defence and Brooke Tilyard at goalkeeper.

The Reddies welcomed back Mel Vidler, who, along with Maddie Moon at wing attack, provided the feed to shooters Brianne Cusack and Hannah Williams.

Abbey Lowe replaced Hannah Finemore as the spearhead and together with Lana Duffy piled on 21 goals in the second stanza.

Strong defence and smart centre court play from Olivia Tilyard, Matilda Vearing and Tameka Scott limited the Reddies’ shooters to just nine goals for the quarter, bringing the half-time score to 36-20 at half-time.

The trend continued in the second half as the Quinty team cruised home with another 29 goals, while the Reddies added 19 more to their tally.

Uranquinty will meet the improving Turvey Park in their next match, whilst the Reddies will enjoy a bye.


Discuss "Turvey fight to stay in hunt for finals action | Photos"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.