More than 40 fines have been issued in the Riverina in four days as police continue to crack down on breaches of the state's public health orders.
Operation Stay at Home has been in effect since mid-August when the NSW government put the entire state into lockdown to help stem the spread of the latest outbreak of COVID-19, which began in Sydney.
Riverina Police District Superintendent Bob Noble said there had been 42 infringement notices issued in the region since Friday.
"Numerous among them has been people leaving home without an excuse," Superintendent Noble said.
"Several have been for persons refusing to wear face masks and, disappointingly, people refusing in some instances to use the QR-code system to scan themselves into businesses and other premises.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"We are very, very fortunate across the Riverina Police District that we haven't had an influx of positive infections for COVID-19, but one thing is for certain - if people continue to transgress the public health orders ... we will very, very soon have positive infections in this community."
In one case, police went to a Wagga home to arrest a person who "legged it down the street" and left home "without a reasonable excuse".
"That obviously did not assist his position, and he was proceeded against for that," Superintendent Noble said.
"Disappointingly, there were people who thought it was alright to go have a picnic or have a barbecue with eight people or have a game of tennis with four people.
"There is clearly a degree of laxness ... we are pretty confident that they knew that what they were doing was the wrong thing."
Superintendent Noble said it was an individual's responsibility to know the laws and follow them, and he urged residents not to get complacent.
He said while the region has been fortunate not to have any positive cases, the situation could get out of hand very quickly.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: