THE NSW premier has confirmed the Greater Sydney lockdown and regional restrictions will continue for at least another four weeks after the state recorded 177 new cases of COVID-19 overnight.
Gladys Berejiklian said that of the new locally-acquired cases, 46 had been in the community while infectious.
That number was still too high.
"It would not have been possible to come out of lockdown on Friday," she said.
"Greater Sydney will be in lockdown for a further four weeks.
"All those areas currently in lockdown will continue."
Ms Berejiklian said people would have to do their shopping within a 10 kilometre radius of their home.
No further restrictions would be added to regional areas.
"We have managed to keep the disease out of the regions by and large," she said.
Outside of eight local government areas in Sydney, construction on premises where nobody was living or staying were permitted.
There were 94,000 tested in the 24 hours to 8pm Tuesday.
"Children will continue to need to be home-schooled, except for year 12," Ms Berejiklian said.
They would be vaccinating year 12 students in those LGAs.
"We don't want students coming to face to face learning, getting the virus, and taking it home with them," she said.
"Year 12 learning would recommence face to face in two weeks."