THE NSW premier has confirmed the Greater Sydney lockdown and regional restrictions will continue for at least another four weeks after the state recorded 177 new cases of COVID-19 overnight.
Gladys Berejiklian said that of the new locally-acquired cases, 46 had been in the community while infectious.
That number was still too high.
"It would not have been possible to come out of lockdown on Friday," she said.
"Greater Sydney will be in lockdown for a further four weeks.
"All those areas currently in lockdown will continue."
Ms Berejiklian said residents of Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Shellharbour, the Central Coast and Wollongong would have to do their shopping within a 10 kilometre radius of their home.
The restrictions for non-essential workers currently in place in Blacktown, Canterbury-Bankstown, Liverpool, Fairfield and Cumberland local government area (LGA) restricting movements outside the LGA have been extended to include Parramatta, Georges River and Campbelltown LGAs.
Construction will be back in non-occupied dwellings, but only outside of those above eight LGAs.
There will also be a singles bubble for those who live by themselves. They can nominate one person to visit them but it must be the same person for the full four weeks. Those within the above eight LGAs must nominate somebody within their LGA and within 10km. Those outside those LGAs must nominate somebody from outside those LGAs.
No further restrictions would be added to regional areas.
"We have managed to keep the disease out of the regions by and large," she said.
There were 94,000 tested in the 24 hours to 8pm Tuesday.
"Children will continue to need to be home-schooled, except for year 12," Ms Berejiklian said.
They would be vaccinating year 12 students in those LGAs.
Some Pfizer vaccines from regional areas would be re-directed to Sydney to vaccinate these students.
"We don't want students coming to face to face learning, getting the virus, and taking it home with them," she said.
"Year 12 learning would recommence face to face learning in two weeks."
There has been another COVID-19-related death.
A woman in her 90s died yesterday at Liverpool Hospital.
She was not vaccinated.
This is the 11th COVID-19 related death during the current outbreak.
"We have received additional funding support from the Commonwealth," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Businesses also will get extra support. We fought our guts out for these extra payments."
There are currently 165 COVID-19 cases admitted to hospital, with 56 people in intensive care, 22 of whom require ventilation.
"People with the vaccine are staying out of hospital," Ms Berejiklian said.
"It doesn't mean you can't get the virus or spread it, but it is an enormous protection."
NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant said it was pleasing to see high testing levels.
"Sadly we have had a death overnight of a woman in her 90s who died at Liverpool Hospital.
"This is the eleventh death from this outbreak.
"We know lockdowns work, we just have to hold our course.
"But we have other tools, and those other tools are vaccination.
"We need to up our vaccination coverage."