From noon Monday, June 7, many Victorian border residents will be exempt from the stay-at-home orders now restricting their activities in NSW.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard signed a public health order amendment that will exempt people provided they haven't been outside the Victorian border region and do not travel outside the NSW border region.
The order, which Mr Hazzard finalised on Sunday, recognises the same border region as put in place in late 2020.
Over the weekend, Victorian border residents had been prevented from entering NSW for anything other than four essential reasons, even though their own state had eased this stay-at-home restriction.
The situation had taken many by surprise late last week, with Victorian spectators barred from attending weekend sporting matches even though all players could participate.
In other news
Victorian border residents also could not visit venues, cafes, restaurants or churches in NSW unless their activity related to obtaining essential goods and services, medical care, exercise, work or school.
Member for Albury Justin Clancy said he spoke to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Friday night after the border discrepancy became apparent and also contacted Mr Hazzard the next day.
"I appreciate the frustrations and concerns over the weekend," Mr Clancy told The Border Mail on Monday morning.
"He understood those concerns and frustrations and gave an undertaking that he would respond to it, so to see the exemption come through late last night was certainly welcome."
Mr Clancy received notification of the change at 11pm Sunday.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: