A father who lost his daughter in a brutal slaying in Albury believes the killer should be under constant supervision amid fears he will attack again.
Graham Mailes killed Kim Meredith by cutting her throat, with the 19-year-old's naked body found in a car park behind Swift and Macauley Streets about 4am on March 23, 1996.
She had been walking between the Terminus Hotel and Sodens when Mailes killed her.
The now 48-year-old received a 25-year term and was released into supervised accommodation in May 2014.
The remainder of his sentence expired last week - about the same time the late teenager's parents held a quiet gathering at her grave site to mark the anniversary of her death.
In other news
The NSW Attorney General has taken steps to prevent Mailes being released back into the community, free from the 24-hour disability monitoring he receives in supported accommodation.
Mailes wants to live in private accommodation.
Justice Peter Hamill imposed a three-month order extending his status as a mental health patient, noting there was a "significant risk to the community if the level of support changes".
Ms Meredith's father, Bob, is hopeful that supervision will be extended when the matter returns to the Supreme Court on June 7.
"Our big fear always has been that he would do it again," he said on Monday.
"He should be under supervision at all times.
"We went through a string of court cases and seeing him, he had no comprehension of what he'd done in the first place.
"He never gave a reason because he blamed other people.
"Our fear is that someone else will have to go through what we went through."
June Meredith welcomed the Attorney General's moves to extend supervision.
She said it would be positive if her daughter's killer received an extra three years of supervision.
"I'm pleased the Attorney General is now looking into the case," she said.
The incident shocked the region and led to lengthy legal cases over Mailes' mental state and fitness to be tried over seven years.
A plaque at QEII Square still commemorates Ms Meredith's life.
Mr Meredith said his family had never stopped living the ordeal.
"It was a sad day for us," he said of last week's anniversary.
"It was a day of remembrance, it was a painful day.
"It doesn't go away - it never will.
"She will always be with us."
A forensic psychiatrist found Mailes had high historical risk factors of re-offending, but his present behaviour posed a low risk.
Overall, he was found to be a moderate risk of re-offending.
Mr Meredith said the family would follow the proceedings but wouldn't get personally involved.
He wants to see the supervision extended.
"I think we're just hoping and praying it doesn't happen to someone else," he said.
"I'm not saying it's going to happen, but there's a risk it could happen."
Justice Hamill said it was unclear what support would be available to Mailes if he ceased being a mental health patient.
He ordered two psychiatrists, or one psychologist and one psychiatrist, conduct separate examinations of Mailes.
A final hearing to consider extending Mailes' supervision is expected to run for one or two days ahead of the temporary order expiring on June 27.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.