A Deniliquin school has been closed because of a gas leak on Wednesday morning.
Superintendent Stewart Alexander, the Fire and Rescue NSW zone commander, said firefighters had contained the leak from a LPG cylinder and were waiting for specialist contractors to arrive.
"They're making sure that all ignition sources are excluded from that area, and they've got a water spray on the leaking area, just to suppress the vapour," he said.
"It's all completely under control at this time ... (but) we're not taking any chances.
"As a precaution, the school is not opening until we can render it safe."
In other news
Deniliquin firefighters received the call-out at 7.30am when neighbours heard escaping gas from a large LPG cylinder on the school block.
Police also attended and an exclusion zone was set up as parents, staff and students arriving for school were turned away.
Edward Public School, Butler Street, advised people not to enter the school grounds and for students to stay at home if possible.
"The school will be non-operational today," the school posted on its Facebook page.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: