A man has been committed to stand trial in the NSW Supreme Court for the alleged murder of William Chaplin at Gerogery a decade ago.
He will now be arraigned before the court in Sydney on April 9, with a trial not expected to begin until at least the end of this year.
The man, who cannot be named as he was a minor at the time of the alleged offence in 2010, appeared relieved when committed on Tuesday morning by Albury Local Court magistrate Richard Funston.
In other news
Director of Public Prosecutions representative Caitlin Murphy had asked for an adjournment of four weeks as her office sought to align the man's case with that of co-accused, Paul Anthony Watson, who having been extradited from Victoria has now also been charged with murder.
Watson was arrested and charged with murder last week.
Ms Murphy said the intention was to prosecute both men at a joint trial.
She said that was the appropriate course as it was alleged the men acted together in the murder of Mr Chaplin.
But Mr Funston agreed with the man's defence - and pointed to the accused's previous protestations at feeling like he had been left to "languish" in Sydney's Long Bay jail - and refused Ms Murphy's application.
He then committed the man to trial.
The case of Watson, who did not front court, was adjourned to March 30 to allow for service of the police brief.
His defence said it was anticipated that Watson's matter would be expedited, allowing for an eventual joint trial.
Neither man applied for bail.
Facebook has banned news from its platform. You can read our response here.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: