A Riverina man accused of multiple sexual assault offences has been refused bail following a brief appearance via video link at Wagga Local Court on Monday.
Last week, detectives arrested the man, aged in his 30s, after an investigation into allegations of historic child sexual assaults between 2006 and 2020.
He was charged with six counts of aggravated sexual assault of a victim under the age of 16 years, four counts of aggravated indecent assault of a victim under the offender's authority, and having sexual intercourse with person aged between 10 and 14 years.
In court, Legal Aid solicitor Aakash Prasad said the accused had been steadily employed for almost two decades but was currently not working.
He added that the man was supported by his family and had "strong community ties".
"[He] also handed himself in when police contacted him," Mr Prasad said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"He's done an interview with police where he has denied allegations.
"He has an address that he can go to which is quite far from the complainants ... he has no reason to contact the complainants."
Police prosecutor Priscilla Jones opposed bail saying that the man had only recently removed himself from the area and the charges he faced were serious.
She added that some of the alleged offences carry a 10-year non-parole jail term.
Magistrate Christopher Halburd acknowledged the man had strong community ties and a limited criminal history.
But he added the nature of the offences was extremely serious.
Magistrate Halburd refused bail. The man is due to appear in Wagga District Court in March.