Wagga firefighters have extinguished a small grass fire near the city centre this evening.
Turvey Park Fire and Rescue crews were alerted to the blaze on Edward Street West after a call was made to Triple Zero about 6pm.
Turvey Park station commander Justin Bentley said the fire was ignited by a suspected electrical fault, with the electrical authority now investigating an arcing power line.
Mr Bentley said the fire was sparked near a picnic area "on the outskirts of town", near the intersection where Sturt Highway becomes the Olympic Highway as it bypasses Ashmont.
"The fire would have been extinguished pretty quickly, but we let it burn out a bit with the opportunity of the calm weather," he said.
IN OTHER NEWS:
"We let it burn for a bit to create a bit of a fire break in that area, as it's a heavily trafficked public area."
Two appliances from Turvey Park attended with crews on the scene for about 40 minutes to ensure the fire only burnt through enough grass to create a fire break.
Mr Bentey said there was no risk to any property.
He reminded the community to monitor the weather conditions in the coming months and keep abreast of total fire ban days.
"And if they see an unattended fire they should report it to Triple Zero immediately," he said.