YOUNG Albury trainer Laura McCullum has been handed a four-month disqualification by Racing NSW stewards after being found guilty of providing false evidence during an inquiry.
The inquiry was in relation to a 'potential breach of Racing NSW COVID-19 policy.'
McCullum pleaded guilty to a charge under the Australian Rule of Racing AR232(i).
The charge read "that she did provide evidence to stewards during a telephone interview on Monday, June 22, 2020, in respect to her attendance at Wodonga trackwork in the knowledge such evidence was false" during a phone interview with Southern District chief steward Jason Shultz.
Stewards took into account McCullum's guilty plea, personal circumstances and it was her first breach of the rule when handing down their penalty.
The disqualification was due to commence on July 24 and expire on November 24 when McCullum can reapply for her licence.
However, McCullum said she had already lodged an appeal.
"I have already sent in the paperwork and the stewards granted me a stay of proceedings on Monday," McCullum said.
McCullum was only granted her trainers licence last month.
It has proved to be a tough initiation into the training ranks for the 29-year-old.
She had her first runner as a trainer at Leeton on Monday with Makaretu Boy.
Makaretu Boy was well beaten to finish at the tail of the field as a $31-chance.
McCullum plans to purchase the stables owned by Brett Cavanough and previously used by Mitch Beer.
She is married to jockey Scott McCullum and was previously an amateur jockey.
The pair have two children.
McCullum also worked under late Wodonga trainer Brian Cox as a teenager for more than three years.