Firefighters are warning Wagga residents to remove lint from their dryers and washing machines this winter, which is one of the busiest seasons for house fires.
Turvey Park firefighter Ben Wood said he made sure to remove lint from his dryer on a daily basis, since it proved surprisingly flammable especially when built up over time.
He is urging Wagga residents to follow suit and give their dryers and washing machines a thorough clean out once in a while.
"In my career I've been to dozens of drier fires as a result of lint not being cleaned out," Mr Wood said.
In other news:
As more people turn to home cooking under lockdown, kitchen fires are another hazard that Mr Wood is urging Wagga residents to watch out for.
He said people who leave their cooking unattended often ended up regretting it, and that stove top flames should always be kept under close watch.
"We have almost 5000 house fires per year in NSW and over half of those start in the kitchen and over half of those are the result of unattended cooking," Mr Wood said.