THE Junee Jaguars concede it could be at least three years before they return to Football Wagga's men's first grade competition after confirming they won't field a team this year.
Junee was initially bullish about their chances of returning to the Pascoe Cup after taking last year off, but will remain in reserve grade this year as they look to rebuild their playing depth.
Club president Genelle Keough said the decision not to nominate a first grade team was made before the coronavirus pandemic threw community sport into disarray.
Junee won the Pascoe Cup premiership in 2015, and will continue to field a women's side in the Leonard Cup first grade competition.
"We probably won't have a first grade team this year at this point. We're still in our rebuilding phase trying to get the juniors to come up," Keough said.
"We have a three to five year plan on attracting players to the club. Being a small township, it's a bit harder to assemble that pool of people, and we also want to be competitive in the competition itself (when we return)."
"Our biggest problem is kids going off to uni, and the work others pick up in their trades can also be an issue. All the codes here are in the same boat."
Keough was one of more than 20 club representatives involved in a teleconference with Football Wagga on Wednesday where they outlined their hopes the NSW Government's Office of Sport will ratify it's Return to Play Framework in time for restricted training to begin at the end of this week.
"I think there was 22 people in the meeting itself working through some problems with social distancing (protocols), what the season is going to look like and things like that," Keough said.
"It would be really good if we can get through to (playing in) October if at all possible."