The NSW BUSHFIRES EMERGENCY:
* There are 50 bush and grass fires are burning up and down the coast between Newcastle and Byron Bay and inland to the west as far as Bourke.
* There are two major out of control fires due to continuing high winds.
* Some 21 blazes have not yet been contained.
WHERE THE MAJOR FIRES ARE ON TUESDAY
* Bees Nest, north of Ebor and to the northwest of Dorrigo, in the Armidale area, impacting almost 73,000 hectares.
* Long Gully Road, Drake, in the Tenterfield area, impacting almost 40,000 hectares and spreading towards Sandy Creek and Sandy Hill.
* Shark Creek and Yuraygir National Park, in the Clarence Valley area, where more than 9300 hectares have burned south of Yamba.
THE DAMAGE SO FAR
* 9 homes (8 in Drake, 1 in Tenterfield)
* 34 outbuildings (16 in Drake, 15 in Tenterfield, 3 in Lidsdale)
* 3 facilities in Tenterfield (two car yards and a pistol club)
* 6 homes (1 in Drake, 4 in Tenterfield, 1 in Lidsdale)
* 23 outbuildings (13 in Drake, 10 in Tenterfield)
* More than 630 firefighters were on the ground at 5pm on Tuesday.
* Strong southerly winds caused major issues at all three major fire sites on Tuesday but more favourable conditions are expected on Wednesday.
* But with no rain forecast, the largest blazes could burn for weeks.
Australian Associated Press