Passers-by may have wondered exactly what was happening when they spotted a group of firefighters at Gissing Oval, but never fear, all was well.
Firefighters from the Wagga fire station were using the oval's amenities block for training in "staying safe at heights".
Over the course of the week, every one of the station's 20 permanent and 20 retained firefighters are completing the training, a mix of theoretical and practical.
Station Officer Daniel Humphrey, a senior instructor with NSW Fire and Rescue, said the training was being rolled out across NSW.
The practical exercises have focused on using ropes and other safety equipment while fighting a fire from above-ground.
While firefighters at Wagga undergo daily training at the fire station, Station Officer Humphrey comes in to lead more specialised training.
Thursday's sunshine may have been welcome for firefighters who were outside training, but they have warned that winter is not over and residents need to remain aware of the winter fire risks.
From cleaning the lint filters on clothes dryers before each use to making sure the electric blanket's cord is not frayed, NSW Fire and Rescue is asking people to make sure they have taken simple precautions, as 60 per cent of house fires occur during winter.
Despite the cold, leave the outdoor heaters and barbecues outside because these often give off carbon monoxide, which can be deadly in a confined space.
Perhaps most importantly, have working smoke detectors at home and change the batteries regularly.