The long weekend has delivered its share of dramas to the city's firefighters after two separate incidents threatened lives.
At 11:40pm on Sunday, crews from Turvey Park Fire and Rescue joined paramedics and police in attending a fire at a unit block in Bruce Street, Tolland.
Jeff Edwards, station commander, said a couch had been set a light outside the entrance to block four.
"It was partially extinguished by residents using a garden hose," he said.
One of those residents was Daral Andrews, who has lived in the complex for the past four months.
He ventured outside before noticing the smoke and raising the alarm.
"My mate lives down there, and I thought he was in there," Mr Andrews said.
"I don't think I really thought about it, I just thought I had to try, to get him out."
With the fire encompassing most of the entrance to unit 22, Mr Andrews was left with enormous fears for his friend's safety.
He kept calling out to him, but with no answer, he was left to fear.
While negotiating buckets of water, Mr Andrews was made aware that the crisis was somewhat averted. His friend was not home.
"There were others though, in [units 21 and 23], so we had to put it out. Otherwise, what would they do?"
Despite prompt efforts, crews were in attendance for roughly an hour and a half. All the while, at least two residents remained trapped inside their flats.
"The fire was blocking the exits for two units, so essentially they were trapped and the only way out would have been over the balcony," Mr Edwards said.
"For people who might have an injury or the elderly, or even just someone who is nervous about heights, it wouldn't have been easy.
"Thankfully, we were able to get everyone out, and no-one had to go over the balcony."
Proximity to power lines forced crews to call for an emergency black out.
Having moved into the neighbouring block of units only a month ago, 20-year-old Akashya Rose has been left to re-consider her safety.
She was asleep at the time of the fire.
"All I knew was when my uncle ran in and said there's a fire outside," she said.
"He got out there with a hose and the bloke from number seven [Mr Andrews] came down to help him, until the fire department got here.
"Lucky he was here though, otherwise who knows, it probably could have burnt down the lot. We were all sleeping, we wouldn't have known.
"It's just amazing what a little fire can do. So much damage."
Residents in the adjacent block were forced to jump from balconies to escape an inferno when the same complex was hit by arson late last year.
Rubbish in a stairwell was set alight in December, causing external damage to apartment 34.
Ms Rose affirmed that "there have been rumours about, this happens a lot."