Friday at 9:25pm
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Stewart Alexander said gas suppliers are working on site to isolate the leak and seal it off.
"Around 30 evacuees are being assisted pending return to their homes," he said.
"Majority of RSL patrons have left to other locations. We're actively engaged with all other evacuees to determine when they can return home or if they have alternative accommodation in the meantime.
Inspector Alexander said fire fighters are using gas detectors to monitor the atmosphere and provide information of any gas levels.
"Progress is being made however it is very meticulous to ensure public safety. It could be another couple of hours but we're working as fast as possible," he said.
Friday at 8.55pm
At least 900 properties are without power and crews are working to shut down gas.
A woman at the scene, who preferred not to be named, said an announcement was made over speaker in the RSL.
"It was leave your drink, leave your grog and get out," she said.
Friday at 8.22pm
Power has been shut off and the gas company is now working to shut down the gas.
People are waiting around, unable to get to their cars.
Xavier Nugent has his car parked at the RSL and was told he would be able to get it in about 30 mins.
He said the crowd had been told the gas lines are off, but emergency services are trying to find the origin of the leak.
Friday at 8.18pm
More than 600 people have been evacuated from the RSL Club and Motel due to a gas leak.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Stewart Alexander said firefighters and police are in attendance on Kincaid Street after reports of a gas leak
"A vehcile has hit a gas main," he said.
"FRNSW and police are in attendance and what we are doing is evacuating the RSL and motel that are on what is probably the busiest night of the year.
"The evacuation is being conducted by police and there is around 600 people being brought out - that is the estimate at the moment."
Inspector Alexander said the issue is being handled.
"There are no injuries," he said.
"To dispense the gas, they have hose lines near where the leak is to break the gas up and make sure there is no ignition risk.
"If possible, people should stay away at the moment and Kincaid Street and Dobbs Street closed off at the moment."
Emergency services are considering shutting off power to eliminate the chance of ignition.