The Diocese of Wagga Wagga has launched an investigation after it was revealed a man believed to be a convicted child sex offender had been contracted to work at Sacred Heart Catholic School.
In a letter released to parents this afternoon, it confirmed the sub-contractor's employment was in breach of the diocese's policies and he has since been banned from working in any of the 31 Catholic schools in the area.
It stated Sacred Heart principal Carolyn Matthews is currently undertaking counselling and additional child protection training off site whilst the matter is being investigated.
The alarm was raised when a woman dropping her children off at the school recognised the man who had been convicted of sexually abusing her sister about 20 years ago.
She immediately informed her sister, who told The Daily Advertiser that she was distraught to hear he was potentially working in proximity to children.
She contacted the school to raise her concerns on March 22.
"I stepped up to make sure nothing else had or would happen to anyone else," she said.
"My sister when she saw him in the playground had a panic attack.
"He should never have been employed."
The survivor was abused by the man, who was then a trusted neighbour.
"I had never kissed a boy or done anything, I was completely innocent," she said.
"He'd been grooming my sister and I felt if I didn't do something then she was next."
In the letter, the Diocese of Wagga Wagga apologised to the family, as well as to the entire Sacred Heart Catholic School community.
"This incident appears to have been due to an error in judgement," the statement read.
"We are currently conducting an investigation and will be reviewing our policies and training processes to ensure that this never happens again."
While you're with us, did you know that you can now receive updates straight to you inbox each day at 6am from the Daily Advertiser? To make sure you're up to date with all the Wagga news sign up here.