The ongoing stoush between Football Wagga and its affiliate clubs over dual registration has, at long last, been resolved.
The Football Wagga (FWW) board this week met with the Council of Clubs to reach an agreement after a month of disputes.
The Council of Clubs – a representative body comprised of presidents and delegates from each club – voted on December 19 to remove scrap dual registration, sparking a series of disagreements across the region.
Both FWW and Wagga City Wanderers released statements opposing the decision in the following weeks, the latter then formally ruling to “not prevent dual registration” and “use its powers to override any change to the competition rules that attempted to prevent dual registration”.
Now, a compromise has been reached and dual registration will be accepted in the 2019 season.
In a statement released by FWW on Wednesday, media manager Tim Barter said the governing body was satisfied to have resolved the matter.
We all agree it is for the betterment of all players to have the opportunity to play for both their clubs and Wagga City Wanderers.
“Dual registration will remain during the 2019 soccer season,” the statement reads.
“We all agree it is for the betterment of all players to have the opportunity to play for both their clubs and Wagga City Wanderers.
“We are happy with this amicable result.”
Tolland president Maurie Hogan was pleased to see the issue finally put to bed.
“(The dual registration saga) shouldn’t have ever got to this stage but it’s all sorted now and I think we’ve made a good compromise with the clubs and FWW,” he said.
The result now opens the door for players whom have previously pledged themselves to either club or representative football, such as Jake Ploenges, Duncan Cameron, and the Gardner brothers, to dual register.