Wagga footballer Elliott Himmelberg will make his AFL debut for Adelaide against Carlton on Saturday night.
After being named an emergency last week, Himmelberg has been brought into the Crows’ side for their final game of the season at Etihad Stadium.
Himmelberg played his junior football at Eastlakes-MCU and then under 17s at Mangoplah-Cookardinia United-Eastlakes before moving to Brisbane with his parents at age 16.
He went to school at Mater Dei Primary School and Mater Dei Catholic College and is the younger brother of Greater Western Sydney forward Harry Himmelberg.
He also played first grade cricket at South Wagga.
Adelaide coach Don Pyke was happy to give Himmelberg an opportunity.
“It’s fantastic for Elliott to get a run,” Pyke said.
“As I’ve said previously, he’s been in pretty good form in the SANFL, he’s developed over the two years he’s been here and put on a bit of size and shown some things so it’s going to be a good opportunity for him tomorrow night. I’m looking forward to what he produces.”
Adelaide assistant coach Ben Hart also said it was a well-deserved debut for Himmelberg.
“Exciting news for Elliott, he’s toiled away in the SANFL and his second half of the year has been really strong for us,” Hart told AFC Media.
“He’s played as a key forward and in the ruck so we’re excited to give him an opportunity to come in and play at the high level – he deserves it.”
Himmelberg, 20, has been in good touch in the SANFL in recent weeks with 11 goals from his last five games, including a haul of five against North Adelaide.
He has been named to play at centre-half-forward for the Crows and comes into the team after Tom Doedee underwent surgery on Wednesday for a fractured collarbone
Himmelberg was drafted to Adelaide with selection 51 in the 2016 AFL Draft and signed a two-year contract extension earlier this year
Meantime, Narrandera’s Zac Williams is unlikely to play in Greater Western Sydney’s final round clash with Melbourne on Sunday.
Williams made his comeback from an achilles injury last weekend and was named in an extended Giants AFL squad on Thursday night.
But he likely to play another game in the NEAFL, according to Giants coach Leon Cameron.
"The temptation was to bring him in, but ... six months is a long time out of footy,” Cameron said.
"As much as what I'd love to see him running around the MCG - we may still - but he's probably more likely to play in the NEAFL.
"It's a more conservative approach. If it had have been two or three months, definitely. I reckon it would have been a no-brainer."
Harry Perryman retained his place in the Giants team after coming in last week and having 18 disposals against Sydney.