Record numbers have flocked to Wagga for the opening leg of the South-West Junior Development Series.
106 budding young tennis players aged between eight and 16 took to Jim Elphick Tennis Centre on Sunday, a massive increase on last year’s 75.
Wagga’s Elijah Dikkenberg and Hay’s Jensen James-Hargreaves were particularly dominant, barely dropping a game on their way to winning the 10 boys and 12 boys competitions respectively.
Wagga’s Leon Hemmings cleaned up in the under 16 boys, while fellow locals Cassandra Budde and Emily Saeki were highly impressive as they clinched overall wins in the 10 girls and 12 girls.
Wagga-based Tennis NSW participation officer Brendan Lee said the standard of play was “incredibly high”.
- 8 Boys – Riley Hill (Uranquinty)
- 8 Boys – Sienna Everson (Temora)
- 10 Boys – Elijah Dikkenberg (Wagga)
- 10 Girls – Cassandra Budde (Wagga)
- 12 Boys – Jensen James-Hargreaves (Hay)
- 12 Girls – Emily Saeki (Wagga)
- 14 Boys – Nick Maleganeas (Canberra)
- 14 Girls – Jane Haeusler (Barellan)
- 16 Boys – Leon Hemmings (Wagga)
- 16 Girls – Cameron Goss (Albury)