Wil Anderson praises ‘awesome’ Wagga police at sold-out show

Wil Anderson
Wil Anderson

Wil Anderson has described his experience of being arrested by Wagga police as having to deal with, "good cop, good cop, better cop, f---ing awesome cop."

The comedian was arrested following an incident on his flight into Wagga.

In what the Gruen host described as a first in his 43 years of life, his arrest saw him handcuffed, and placed in a paddy wagon, "which was like a hot tub, without the fun part of water”.

Describing the usual "Good Cop, Bad Cop" scenario, Mr Anderson said while he was expecting to have a mixed experience, he found it was a case of "good cop, good cop, better cop, f---ing awesome cop."

A packed audience at Wagga's Civic Theatre was left waiting for more than half an hour as the celebrity comedian was detained for three hours by police following his Sydney-to-Wagga flight.

At least six police vehicles responded to the airport on Saturday afternoon.

At least six police vehicles responded to the airport on Saturday afternoon.

The show finally kicked off after 8pm to thunderous applause, which only increased when he continued his praise of Wagga police as being awesome.

In what was rich pickings for satire, the arrest made national headlines even before the comedian was released to perform his show on Saturday night.

Qantas says the arrest was made after he became "disruptive” on the QF2229 flight.

An airline spokesperson said in a statement “a passenger was met by police on arrival after behaving disruptively and refusing to follow crew instructions.

“To ensure all of our flights are safe and comfortable for our passengers we don’t tolerate disruptive behaviour onboard.”

In his show, Mr Anderson said he had a bad back, which was strapped due to complications from osteoarthritis, and was told he had to move from the emergency row because he couldn't move the 40-kilogram escape hatch should an emergency occur.

The audience broke into hysterics and cheers as Wil offered the possibility that Qantas may have mistaken his strapped back for a bomb.

Wagga's Comedy Festival was Mr Anderson's final night of his eight month tour.

The comedian had more cheers as he claimed the arrest meant he now needed a lift back to Sydney on Sunday.

A NSW Police media spokeswoman confirmed on Sunday a 43-year-old was released without charges being laid.


Discuss "Wil Anderson praises ‘awesome’ Wagga police at sold-out show"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.