A FRESH criminal charge is set to be laid against an alleged Riverina serial child sex offender already accused of accosting six teenagers in the 1970s.
This latest twist in the case of Victor Madeley, 81, was revealed in Wagga District Court on Monday when his case was mentioned by criminal lawyer David Barron.
Mr Barron said he had been told by a representative of the Office of the Director of Prosecutions (DPP) at the weekend that a fresh charge would be laid against his client.
Madeley last December pleaded guilty to 15 offences, against boys aged under 16 between 1974 and 1979.
A court non-publication order prevents publication of the town in which the former Church of England Boys’ Society leader is alleged to have committed the offences against youngsters involved in the organisation.
The expected new charge is a major new development in the case that already took a sensational turn in February when Madeley’s legal representatives at the time suddenly pulled out of the case, citing “ethical problems” as the reason.
Mr Barron then took over the case.
It is understood that after entering guilty pleas five months ago and signing an agreed set of facts, Madeley may have had a change of heart and considering making an application to traverse his pleas.
Madeley’s position is expected to be known later this week after Mr Barron visits him in prison and gets formal written instructions.
Mr Barron told Judge Phillip Mahony on Monday he had spoken with Madeley by telephone, but a planned jail visit had unfortunately been cancelled.
He said he now planned to see Madeley on Thursday, if not Friday, and asked Judge Mahony to stand the case over until next Monday.
Mr Barron told Judge Mahony he hoped to have the fresh indictment, if it is approved by a Crown prosecutor, by Friday.
Rather than stand the case over to next week, Judge Mahony adjourned it until Friday.
Madeley, who has been in custody since December 2, is not expected to be in court for Friday’s mention.