WITH the Christmas season closing in, one shopper is warning locals to be careful after finding contaminants in cold cut meat.
Each day Matilda Ryan prepares lunch and dinner for farmhands and harvesting contractors – using up to three kilos of meat a day.
Ms Ryan said the string which blended in to the seasoning, would have been used to roast the meat and should have been removed before a customer purchased it.
“I can just imagine a child looking for a snack and eating it straight from the packet,” Ms Ryan said.
Fortunately, while she was preparing sandwiches Ms Ryan was able to find five pieces of string – each presenting a potential choking hazard.
Ms Ryan said she understand the time leading up to Christmas was very busy for retailers.
“I understand it’s Christmas and the shop is busy, but it’s too dangerous not to be aware of,” she said.
“I want to make sure people are aware, I just picked it off, but someone needs to know in case they just slap it on their sandwiches.”
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.