THE final race meeting of the Southern District season is in doubt due to the wet weather.
About 18 millimetres of rain fell on the Murrumbidgee Turf Club (MTC) track between 9am and 4pm on Wednesday, following on from 40mm the previous fortnight.
The track is rated a heavy 10 and will be the subject of an inspection by the stewards on Thursday morning.
MTC chief executive Scott Sanbrook said the meeting will be touch and go.
“We wouldn’t want to be racing on Thursday,” Sanbrook said.
“It is extremely wet and Friday’s meeting would have to be considered in doubt but we definitely don’t want to lose it altogether.
“We will try to get it postponed.”
There is plenty of interest surrounding the race meeting given the close nature of the premierships.
The decision as to whether the meeting can be moved rests with Racing NSW.
“If we don’t race on Friday we would like to see the meeting transferred to early next week,” Sanbrook said.
“But that’s a decision to be made by Racing NSW.”
MTC has hosted five race meetings over the past six weeks but in the same time there has been close to five inches of rain, a combination that has taken its toll on the track.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.