Charges laid after violent Ashmont Inn brawl lands two in hospital

PUB VIOLENCE: Two men have been charged after a brawl at the Ashmont Inn landed two men in hospital
PUB VIOLENCE: Two men have been charged after a brawl at the Ashmont Inn landed two men in hospital

Two men have been charged after a violent brawl erupted at the Ashmont Inn on Friday night, landing two men in hospital. 

At about 9pm on Friday a fight broke out between several people in the front smokers’ area of the pub and spread into the car park. 

Wagga Police allege a 41-year-old man was knocked to the ground before having his head stomped on four to five times by an 18-year-old man. 

A 20-year-old man was also knocked to the ground by a 21-year-old, receiving significant head injuries on impact. He was flown to St George Hospital where he is awake but facing a long stay, according to Acting Inspector Nigel Turney. 

St George Hospital confirmed the man was in a stable condition early Monday afternoon. The 41-year-old was treated at Wagga hospital and discharged on Saturday. 

Police announced on Monday the two men had been charged for the assaults. 

“It’s probably one of the lowest acts you could do - stomping on someone’s head while they’re on the ground,” Inspector Turney said. 

“They’re obviously in a defenseless position ... that 41-year-old still has fractures to his face that will need further specialist treatment.

“We’re probably fortunate no one was killed on this particular occasion given the manner in which the injuries occurred.” 

Police believe six-to-seven people were involved in the brawl. Police have identified and charged those responsible with no further charges expected. Acting Inspector Turney said they will look into the influence of alcohol in the men’s behaviour.

“The weather was hot on Friday so whether those parties had been drinking for an extended period of time,  there will be some inquiries made by licensing police in regards to the levels of intoxication involved in the parties and whether the hotel has some questions to answer in regards to that,” he said. 

Staff at the inn were contacted but not available for comment. 

It comes after the death of Terry Wickey at the same establishment in December, 2016. 

“The death of Mr Wickey ... is certainly one that should not be forgotten, another incident that simply should not have occurred,” Inspector Turney said. 

The 21-year-old was refused bail at Wagga Local Court on Monday. 

The 18-year-old was granted bail and will face court on March 7. 

Comments

Discuss "Charges laid after violent Ashmont Inn brawl lands two in hospital"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.