IN 2018 the Wagga Botanic Gardens turn 50, and to celebrate, Museum of the Riverina has come up with a fun new way to explore it.
A free app-based adventure tour will guide visitors around the Botanic Gardens to discover hidden treasures, rare plants and surprising facts about the site.
With guidance from a smartphone, visitors can roam through some of the less-seen parts of the gardens, solving mysteries and earning points along the way.
Find out which Australian Prime Minister has planted a tree in the gardens, see pictures of the stunning Kunming Pavillion under construction, and learn some quirky facts about the city of Wagga along the way.
This tour is suitable for children and adults, and takes around 60 minutes to complete.
If you don't finish it all in one go, don't worry - you can return at a later date to pick up the tour where they left off.
The first location of the tour is Rainforest Gully, located near the café and both of the playgrounds in the Botanic Gardens.
Users are challenged to find the ancient Wollemi pine which resides somewhere within that gully.
As participants complete challenges, new locations are unlocked and the tour progresses.
Most visitors to the Botanic Gardens make a beeline for the playgrounds.
This tour is designed to meet them where they are and offer a way to extend their adventure across parts of the gardens they might not have experienced.
For 50 years the Botanic Gardens have been a favourite destination for residents and visitors alike.
If some of those trees could talk they’d have some stories to tell!
Amidst the fun and challenges are historical photos of the gardens as they looked over the decades, and stories unearthed from the archives by museum staff.
During the January school holidays, there’s a special treat awaiting every person who completes the adventure tour.
Want to know more? You’ll need to take the tour to find out.
The Botanic Gardens Adventure Tour is just one part of the 50th birthday celebrations of the Wagga Botanic Gardens in 2018.
Take the Adventure Tour
- Install the izi.TRAVEL app to your Apple, Android or Microsoft smartphone from your App store
- Select All Guides (or search by location) to find The Wagga Botanic Gardens Adventure tour
- Tap Start and navigate to the first checkpoint (Rainforest Gully), and follow the instructions to begin your adventure! Additional checkpoints are unlocked in the app as challenges are completed.
- Duration: 60 minutes, with a rest/toilet stop after about 30.
- Steps: 2000 (about 1.5 kilometres).
- Recommended age: 5+
- Accessibility: Suitable for most abilities. Some paths are unpaved and narrow. The Australian Native Flora Garden is not suitable for wheelchairs (but tour can be completed without visiting this location).
Historic Council Chambers Site: Questacon: Fascinating Science, Remembering Gallipoli.
Botanic Gardens Site: Kidzone discovery and play area for kids, The Wagga Wagga Sporting Hall of Fame, Worth Their Weight In Gold: Wagga Women In WWI, He Belonged To Wagga: Our ANZAC Story (1914-1919), People and Place: Fitzmaurice And Baylis Streets, Wagga Wagga, From Barbed Wire To Boundary Fences: The Soldier Settlers Of Tarcutta And Wantabadgery (1917 - 1949), The Sauntering Emu & Other Stories: Life With The Birds Of The Riverina, Tom Castro: The Man Who Never Was, Nurse Burke: Riverina Midwife, The Curious Collection Of Sylvia Seccombe.