THE first Bishop of the Wagga Wagga Diocese, Joseph Dwyer, was, from his school days, a keen student of Australian flora.
He was well-respected not only for his professional calling as a pastor, but also in the scientific community as a talented amateur botanist.
The red gum, Eucalyptus dwyeri, which he was the first to identify, was named for him.
During his time as Parish Priest of Temora (1912-1916), Fr Dwyer collected plants in an area between 10 and 15 miles wide on either side of the railway line between Wyalong and Stockinbingal.
This advertising feature is supported by the following businesses:
- Astor Inn
- Daniel Woods Funeral Care Services
- H. Francis & Co
- Mater Dei Catholic College
- Alan Harris McDonald
- Centacare South West NSW
- Catholic Schools Office - Wagga Wagga
- Advanced Automotive Electrics
- Catholic Diocese of Wagga Wagga
- St Patrick's Primary School Griffith
Fr James McGee, a retired priest of Wagga Wagga, collected seeds from the small grove of Eucalyptus dwyeri that was planted some years ago at Vianney College Seminary.
Fr McGee supervised the germination of these seeds and is now growing them as tube stock.
These commemorative saplings will be sold as part of the centenary celebrations.
- This story first published in Wagga Diocese’s “Together” magazine