Looking back 50 and 25 years | IN THE PAST

Compiled from The Daily Advertiser by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society

25 YEARS AGO

After more than a century serving the people of Wagga Australia Post’s Fitzmaurice Street building has closed, relocating to the corner of Morrow and Baylis streets.

Arson is suspected as cause of a fire which swept through Kidson’’ Cycle Shop in Fitzmaurice Street.

Laptop computers will replace the humble school bag according to principal of St Michaels Regional High School, Graham Kennedy who is celebrating 25 years at the school.

Thousands of people flocked to Kyeamba Smith Hall for the third annual Chamber of Commerce and Industry Homemakers Fair.

Civic Theatre manager, Ken Chappelow, says that there are “mountains of unsold tickets” for major performances which could mean that Wagga will miss out on such performances in the future.

Dennis Bishop started work as the new principal at Mt Austin High School this week. He replaces Garth Green who retired last year.

Ron Grose local Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator said the problem of unruly behaviour by revellers in Baylis Street has become so bad that Wagga’s beat police have been approached.

50 YEARS AGO

Dogs from Wollongong, Canberra and Griffith have boosted nominations for the Wagga and District Greyhound Racing Clubs first meeting with increased prize money at North Wagga.

Manager of the Wagga Gasworks, C S Krummel, has been appointed as a member of a special committee to enquire into the local government gas industry.

Retiring president of the Mt Austin High School Parents and Citizens Association, H Corben, has urged greater support from the 750 families now represented at the school.

P Brunskill was elected president and A Andrews and R Baikie vice-presidents at the annual meeting of the Wagga Old Girls Association of the Goulburn Presbyterian Ladies College.

Six 4 oz. cans of IXL spaghetti or baked beans are just 22 cents and Red Salmon 7¾oz cans just 30 cents each at Woolworths.

Work will begin soon on Wagga’s 20th Hotel to be built by Jackson and Jones builders at a cost of $175,000, one block off Lake Albert Road and adjacent to what will be the new shopping centre at Kooringal.

Charles Husking, Chief Clerk at the Wagga branch of the Department of Railways is retiring soon after 45 years’ service.

Former student, G T Alcorn, has returned to Wagga Teachers College as a lecturer in science.

WHAT’S ON: March 19 at 10.30am, Historic Engine Club Museum, Baden Powell Drive open. March 20 at 7.30pm, Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society Meeting, Museum of the Riverina, Botanic Gardens.  Wayne Doubleday Digitisation of RW5 and RVN news film. Phone 6922 3614. March 21 at 7pm: Without Consent exhibition open at Museum of the Riverina. Phone 6926 9655.

HONOUR: Miss Wagga Quest has a long history dating back to 1948 when the first Miss Wagga, Thena Karofilis was crowned Queen of the Flowers by mayor, Les Barrand.

HONOUR: Miss Wagga Quest has a long history dating back to 1948 when the first Miss Wagga, Thena Karofilis was crowned Queen of the Flowers by mayor, Les Barrand.