Junee man, 81, refused bail in Wagga Local Court on second round of alleged historic child sex offences

Detectives with the charged man after his arrest in September.

Detectives with the charged man after his arrest in September.

A JUNEE man charged on Thursday with a second round of alleged historic child sex offences has been refused bail in Wagga Local Court.

The 81-year-old retired high school teacher, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was kept in police custody overnight and faced court just before 1pm on Friday.

Appearing in court via videolink with the courthouse cells, the man applied for bail through solicitor Max Staples.

“In my submission, he is not a person who is a danger to the community,” Mr Staples said, referring to the historic nature of the allegations and the man’s age and health.

Bail was opposed by Director of Public Prosecutions solicitor Jessica Dawson.

“The Crown submits there are no conditions that can mitigate against the risk of contact (with witnesses) if he is released,” Ms Dawson said.

After hearing the submissions and reading a police statement of facts, magistrate Michael Crompton refused bail.

“I am of the view that the offences as alleged by the prosecution are so very serious that the accused cannot show cause why his detention is not justified, so the bail application is refused,” Mr Crompton said.

Before Thursday’s arrest, the former industrial arts teacher was on court bail on eight charges relating to allegations of sexual abuse of male students at Junee High School between 1964 and 1992.

The charges, laid on September 12, include buggery and indecent assault of a male.

The new charges allege offences in the Junee and Tumut areas between 1965 and 1969.

The man has been charged with an additional three counts of buggery and three counts of indecent assault.

In her submissions, Ms Dawson alleged the accused man had approached an alleged victim after his arrest in September.

“There is an unacceptable risk the the accused will interfere with prosecution witnesses,” Ms Dawson said.

She said the alleged victim held grave concerns for his safety and his family’s safety after the approach.

Mr Staples said if an approach had been made it was not in breach of any bail conditions.

He said the accused man would now undertake not to approach witnesses as a condition of bail.

Mr Staples said the man had no criminal record and had chronic health conditions, including prostate cancer, enlarged aorta, osteoporosis and cataracts.

And the man had an appointment to see a heart specialist later in the month.

Mr Staples said the man had complied with all bail conditions that had been set by the court at his last appearance on October 19.

After refusing the accused man bail, Mr Crompton adjourned the matter to December 14 to meet up with the first tranche of charges.

The man has not yet entered pleas to any of the charges.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop