ANOTHER sex charge has been laid against a former Junee High School teacher and even more will follow, Wagga Local Court has been told.
The 81-year-old retiree faced court on Wednesday for the first time since his arrest on September 12.
His name cannot be made public as a result of a non-publication order made by magistrate Michael Crompton on an application by the accused man’s solicitor, John Weir.
Mr Crompton said the man could only be referred to as CWD.
The man was charged on September 12 with three counts of buggery and since then a fourth charge – indecent assault a male over the age of 14 – has been added.
Crown solicitor, Lisa Hanshaw, revealed in court even more allegations would be pursued by prosecutors.
“I can indicate there will be further charges laid between now and the next occasion (court date),” Mrs Hanshaw said.
CWD’s court appearance on Wednesday came a day after police raided his home and seized a number of items.
The current charges relate to allegations CWD sexually assaulted a schoolboy over five years from the time he was 12.
Police working as Strike Force Comet are investigating a number of alleged historical child sex offences at Junee High School between 1964 and 1992 and have appealed for anyone – including former students and teachers – who witnessed sexual abuse or were victims to contact police.
Mr Weir applied for the non-publication order under three sub-sections of the Court Suppression and Non-Publication Orders Act.
He argued if his client’s name was made public it could identify the existing complainant or force a trial to be held outside the Riverina.
Mrs Hanshaw opposed the application, arguing against the notion publishing the man’s name would identify an alleged victim.
“In my submission, your honour, this matter can be in open court and any embarrassment that may be caused to the accused is no different to any other accused facing these types of charges,” Mrs Hanshaw said.
“There should be no non-publication order on this matter. There is simply no reason for it.”
Mr Crompton said that taking into account the police facts and the nature of the allegations he found it was necessary to make the non-publication order.
The case was adjourned to December 14.