Fifty people were evacuated from Harden streets after a shed fire broke out and a 400L gas tank started venting on Sunday evening.
Emergency services rushed to Neill Street, Harden shortly after 6pm, responding to reports of a building on fire.
The first responders from Harden found not only a fire, but had to work around a large gas tank venting in the vicinity.
“When they arrived, they found a shed measuring approximately 10m by 10m fully involved in fire,” a Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) spokeswoman said.
“There was a 400-litre gas cylinder that was venting, so crews worked to keep that cool (and) evacuated the block about 7.05pm just as a precaution.
“Fifty people were evacuated from the neighbouring area (in case) the fire would spread to nearby structures, including a house, and issues with water pressure.”
The FRNSW crew from Harden tackled the blaze on their own for at least 30 minutes before back-up arrived from elsewhere in the region.
Local firefighters were joined by the Demondrille Rural Fire Service brigade as well as FRNSW crews from Harden, Young, Goulburn, Cootamundra, Wagga, Gundagai, Yass and Boorowa.
HARDEN | #FRNSW crews working to protect a houses adj. to a large shed that is well alight. Nearby residents evac'd for safety.— Fire & Rescue NSW (@FRNSW) January 10, 2016
One person – a young man believed to be a teenager – was taken to Harden-Murrumburrah Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, NSW Ambulance confirmed.
It is believed a neighbouring property sustained some heat damage during the blaze, which was extinguished after around three hours of firefighting.
“The fire was extinguished by 9.12pm and firefighters spent quite a bit of time on scene putting out hot spots and smoldering,” the FRNSW spokeswoman confirmed.